We wanted to learn how to make an epic cake that would have friends and colleges talking for a long time. In our search for the perfect cake to make we found this EPIC Rainbow Cake and just had to share it with you!
1. What you’ll Need:
- 1.5 the amount of usual cake batter
- 2x’s the buttercream you usually use
- Gel Paste Color
- 6 Bowls
- 6 Round Cake Pans
- Tip 809 Ateco (for applying the frosting
2. Evenly scoop the batter into your 6 bowls and add Gel Paste Colors then stir them up! *Cool Tip, from the creator, use an ice cream scoop to make the process easier*
3. Once you’ve gotten them mixed thoroughly, pour them into your greased cake pans and spread out evenly. These will be very thin, so you may have to work at spreading the batter. Then place them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on them as they’re very thin.
4. While it’s baking, prepare your icing. You will need another 7 bowls. This time you want to mix 6 bowls to match your cake, and have 1 bowl of buttercream icing without any added color.
5. This is approximately what you should have once the icing is mixed. (Is anyone else envying how neat she is???)
6. Pull cakes from the oven, allow to cool and level them to start the assembly process.
7. Use the regular buttercream between the cakes to get everything to stick together.
8. Once you’ve gotten all of your layers put together, place the whole cake in the freezer so that you can work with a more stable cake in a little while.
9. Remove the frozen cake and add a crumb icing layer.
10. Now the fun starts! Using your icing tip, we’re going to create petals around the whole cake. Push in on the tip to create a rounded shape and then gently taper the icing off to the left, like a petal. Go all the way around the base of the cake with 1 color.
11. Next, start your next color offset a little on your first row of petals. Notice how the rounded blue falls into the crevice of the purple row to fill everything in? Then continue to go around your cake with each of your colors.
If everything went as planned, your cake should look similar to this! I have the worst time baking so while my products NEVER look as pretty as the goal, they’re always yummy! How did it go for you? Are you going to give it a try?