How to not look confused and uncomfortable at a major art museum. How to not look ignorant on a date. How to talk about things you don’t know anything about with other people who probably don’t know anything about it either but sound like they do. There’s a lot more here than just understanding the 20th century’s most well-known painter.
1. What’s your first reaction?
2. Understand the content of what it is that you’re looking at. What are those shapes supposed to be?
3. Figure out the art form Picasso is using.
4. Look at the historical context. When was the painting completed and what was happening then?
5. Personal context. What was going on in the artist’s own life when he was making the painting?